Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Discover Wheel Throwing Sat 10am
Spend your Saturday mornings in the creative space of our mud brick studio being introduced to the pottery wheel. Our experienced, engaging and friendly tutor, Yuso Lee, will help you discover (or perhaps rediscover) the art of forming ceramic vessels.
Initially you will be taught to understand the basic nature of clay as a material with an easy to understand scientific basis. Then quickly move onto the techniques of wedging, centering on the wheel & correctly using the tools and resources in the studio. You will be taught to make the foundation forms of cylinders and bowls and how to finish your work by turning and trimming.
Why Clay Talk?
Our class sizes are small so you can develop your skills, find your individual style and learn at your own pace. Clay Talk @ Montsalvat’s spacious and beautifully designed ceramic studio is a great space to tap into your creativity.
This course is for two hours on a Saturday morning. It's also available as a two-hour class on Thursday evening or Wednesday morning. We also have a class for you to graduate to once you've gained the basic skills in ceramics, which is run on Thursday mornings and Saturday afternoons.
About your tutor, Yuso Lee:
Yuso has taught all levels and ages how to throw and hand build over her 20+ year career. Yuso is originally from Korea. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Ceramics in Korea and a Diploma of Ceramics from Holmesglen College of TAFE in Melbourne. She has lived and taught in Australia since 2005.
Yuso gets inspiration for her ceramic arts from inner emotions and the environment she lives in. She works the clay into ceramic pieces that reflect her inner feelings. Other part of her ceramic art is the building series. These represent her urban surroundings. Yuso reflects Melbourne city views at dusk in the form of ceramic pieces.
Yuso loves working with clay because she can replicate her emotions though 2D and 3D shapes. Clay has got a lot of character - it can be wet, soft, dry and hard. And it can be unpredictable - producing unexpected and exciting results.
- How to prepare your clay, centre it on the wheel and step-by-step throwing skills for making simple vessel forms such as cylinders and bowls
- How to finish your work by turning and trimming.
- + in the 8-week option: Introductory skills in glazing and firing (in last 2 weeks)
- 10kg of clay to start you off
- Use of wheels and other equipment such as banding wheels
- The vessels you threw bisque fired (or glaze fired in the 8 week option), ready to take home (firing fee is $8/kg)
- Clay tool kit (these are available for sale at the Montsalvat shop or any arts supply store)
Casual / older clothes and covered or closed-in shoes - clay can get messy!
Anyone interested in learning ceramics and wants to develop their techniques. You may have never touched clay before, want a refresher course or are keen to build your skills that bit further.
If you'd like to give this course to someone special, gift vouchers are available. To find out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you change your mind and want to cancel your course booking completely, you can either transfer your enrolment to a friend or we'll refund:
- 100% if you cancel at least 4 weeks before the course starts, less a $20 administration fee.
- 50% if you cancel 2 weeks before the course starts, less a $20 administration fee.
- No refund if you cancel:
- less than 2 weeks before the course starts; or
- the course has already started.
We'll give a full refund if we have someone on our waiting list who can take your spot immediately or if we cancel a course for any reason.
If you can’t attend a class during your course, unfortunately we don’t offer make up classes. We therefore encourage you to choose your courses and dates carefully.