Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Discover Wheel Throwing Wed 10am
Spend your Wednesday mornings in the creative space of our mud brick studio, being introduced to the pottery wheel. Our experienced, engaging and friendly tutor, Denholm Lappas, will help you discover (or perhaps rediscover) the art of forming ceramic vessels. This course runs for 8 weeks.
Initially you will be taught to understand the basic nature of clay as a material with an easy to understand scientific basis. Then quickly move onto the techniques of wedging, centering on the wheel & correctly using the tools and resources in the studio. You will be taught to make the foundation forms of cylinders and bowls, how to finish your work by turning and trimming and finally the art of decorating and glazing your pots.
Why Clay Talk?
Our class sizes are small so you can develop your skills, find your individual style and learn at your own pace. Clay Talk @ Montsalvat’s spacious and beautifully designed ceramic studio is a great space to tap into your creativity.
This course is for two hours on a Wednesday morning. It's also available as a two-hour class on Thursday evening or Saturday morning - both with six and eight week options (You can extend your six week course to eight weeks once you begin). We also have a class for you to graduate to once you've gained the basic skills in ceramics, which is run on Thursday mornings and Saturday afternoons.
About your tutor, Denholm:
Denholm Lappas is a young enthusiastic potter, who has recently graduated from RMIT University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Ceramics). He has been working in the medium of clay for over 10 years, working from his own studio in Footscray his practice extends into various facets of the ceramic art including handbuilding, throwing, casting, artistic exhibition and commercial commision. He has a fervent interest in firing and kiln construction, and is looking forward to furthering this exploration in the years to come.
Denholm aims to make your first experience with ceramics fun and exciting, and his enthusiasm for the art form is infectious.
- How to prepare your clay, centre it on the wheel and step-by-step throwing skills for making simple vessel forms such as cylinders and bowls
- How to finish your work by turning and trimming.
- + in the 8-week option: Introductory skills in glazing and firing (in last 2 weeks)
- 10kg of clay to start you off
- Use of wheels and all other studio equipment
- The vessels you throw bisque fired (and glaze fired in the 8 week option), ready to take home at the end of term (end-of term firing fee is $8/kg)
- Clay took kit (available for purchase in the Montsalvat shop or any art supply store)
Casual / older clothes and covered or closed-in shoes - clay can get messy!
Anyone interested in learning ceramics and wants to develop their techniques. You may have never touched clay before, want a refresher course or are keen to build your skills that bit further.
If you'd like to give this course to someone special, gift vouchers are available as a purchase option or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you change your mind and want to cancel your course booking completely, you can either transfer your enrolment to a friend or we'll refund:
- 100% if you cancel at least 4 weeks before the course starts, less a $20 administration fee.
- 50% if you cancel 2 weeks before the course starts, less a $20 administration fee.
- No refund if you cancel:
- less than 2 weeks before the course starts; or
- the course has already started.
We'll give a full refund if we have someone on our waiting list who can take your spot immediately or if we cancel a course for any reason.
If you can’t attend a class during your course, unfortunately we don’t offer make up classes. We therefore encourage you to choose your courses and dates carefully.