Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Discover Wheel Throwing Mon 6:30pm
Spend your Monday evenings in the creative space of our mud brick studio, being introduced to the potter's wheel. Our experienced, engaging and friendly tutor, Jessie Pittard, will help you discover (or perhaps rediscover) the art of forming ceramic vessels. This course runs for 8 weeks.
Initially you will be taught to understand the basic nature of clay as a material with an easy to understand scientific basis. Then quickly move onto the techniques of wedging, centering on the wheel & correctly using the tools and resources in the studio. You will be taught to make the foundation forms of cylinders and bowls, how to finish your work by turning and trimming and finally an in depth introduction to decorating and glazing your pots.
This 8 weeks course will teach your how to make pieces, turning, trimming and finishing and includes an in-depth introduction to glazing.
Why Clay Talk?
Our class sizes are small so you can develop your skills, find your individual style and learn at your own pace. Clay Talk @ Montsalvat’s spacious and beautifully designed ceramic studio is a great space to tap into your creativity.
This course is for two hours on a Monday evening. It's also available as a two-hour class on Wednesday morning, Thursday evening or Saturday morning. We also have a class for you to graduate to once you've gained the basic skills in ceramics, which is run on Thursday mornings.
Your tutor this term will be Jessie Pittard, of Glen Park Studios in Eltham.
Jessie is a passionate printmaker and ceramicist. Growing up with both parents involved with ceramics, she has spent her life immersed in clay. Her studies and technical training as a printmaker at RMIT have influenced her approach. Within her practice Jessie enjoys exploration and experimentation of form, design and process in both her functional ware as well as her sculptural works.
Jessie has been running her ceramic business from her studio in Eltham and is excited to be joining the team of tutors at Montsalvat Clay Talk in 2020. You can find some of Jessies functional ceramics at the Montsalvat Shop.
*Please note there is a public holiday on Monday 9th March so classes will conclude a week later than usual on the 30th march*
- How to prepare your clay, centre it on the wheel and step-by-step throwing skills for making simple vessel forms such as cylinders and bowls
- How to finish your work by turning and trimming.
- + in the 8-week option: Introductory skills in glazing and firing (in last 2 weeks)
- 10kg of clay to start you off
- Use of wheels and all other studio equipment
- The vessels you throw bisque fired (and glaze fired in the 8 week option), ready to take home at the end of term (end-of term firing fee is $8/kg)
- Clay took kit (available for purchase now during checkout, at the Montsalvat shop or any art supply store)
Clay took kit (available for purchase in the Montsalvat shop or any art supply store)
Anyone interested in learning ceramics and wants to develop their techniques. You may have never touched clay before, want a refresher course or are keen to build your skills that bit further.
If you'd like to give this course to someone special gift vouchers are available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you change your mind and want to cancel your course booking completely, you can either transfer your enrolment to a friend or we'll refund:
- 100% if you cancel at least 4 weeks before the course starts, less a $20 administration fee.
- 50% if you cancel 2 weeks before the course starts, less a $20 administration fee.
- No refund if you cancel:
- less than 2 weeks before the course starts; or
- the course has already started.
We'll give a full refund if we have someone on our waiting list who can take your spot immediately or if we cancel a course for any reason.
if for reasons outside of our control, such as severe weather conditions, a class must be cancelled we will do our best to accommodate you with a replacement class.
If you can’t attend a class during your course, unfortunately we don’t offer make up classes. We therefore encourage you to choose your courses and dates carefully.